Yeah….. so …. I’m realizing that I haven’t made a blog post in over two months. Sheesh! I had to take a break from the blog while the kids were out of school for the summer, because all Moms know that the second you sit down to do something for yourself is the instant that they need you … for everything. But hey, I bring a peace offering for my online absence. Double chocolate pound cake with a chocolate ganache drizzle. Virtually, of course. But I’ll share the recipe below!
I got this recipe from my Mammaw, who had hand written it down from someone she knew who had gotten it from someone else. Isn’t that how the best recipes get shared? Handwritten on scraps of paper complete with grease stains?
The day I made this, we ate it when it was still warm from the oven. It was good, but it tastes better after completely cooling in the fridge! Look how fudgey and moist it looks. Mmmmmnnnnn.
The recipe is below. Enjoy!
- One box chocolate cake mix
- 1 C sour cream
- 1/2 C sugar
- 2/3 C canola oil
- 1 Tbs vanilla
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 10 oz bag of chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 C sugar
- 2 Tbs cocoa
- 1⁄8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs water
- 1⁄4 tsp vanilla extract
- FOR THE CAKE - Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix + sour cream until blended.
- Add rest of ingredients mixing well after each ingredient.
- Mix in chocolate chips last, and pour into a greased bundt pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until it passes the clean toothpick test.
- FOR THE DRIZZLE - Combine sugar, cocoa, and salt in small saucepan.
- Turn heat on medium low and add water.
- Stir continuously while sugar starts to melt.
- Add butter and keep stirring.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, and stir constantly for 1 min.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour in glass jar and allow to cool before drizzling over cake
- If you're serving this for a crowd, prepare it a day ahead of time, and store in the fridge so it can be completely cool.
- Because this drizzle sauce spreads out after pouring on the cake, I recommend pouring on individual slices before serving.