I. love. cheese. Let me just put that out there. And I love a creamy macaroni and cheese. This recipe is easy to put together and is sure to become a family favorite!
I’ve used the pre-shredded Kroger cheddar cheese before and have also spent nearly $10 on cheddar in the specialty cheese section. They both tasted great, and I can’t honestly say that spending that $10 was worth it!
And, you don’t have to bake this in the oven after cooking your cheese sauce. But I like to put it in the oven to get a thin crispy layer of cheese on top. More cheese please. Can you ever really have too much cheese?
- 12 ounces macaroni*
- 4 Tbl butter
- 4 Tbl flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2/3 C heavy cream
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 C shredded cheddar
- Cook the macaroni to al dente according to package directions, rinse with cool water and set aside.
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, stir in flour and mix until smooth.
- Add the milk and whisk to smooth with flour.
- Once the milk has thickened, add the cream, mustard powder, salt, pepper and 2 C of the shredded cheddar. Stir until all cheese has melted and sauce is smooth.
- Add in your macaroni and stir until mixed well. At this point, you can serve it from the stove, or you can put it in a 2 quart dish and bake in the oven. If baking, top with remaining 1 C of cheddar and bake in oven at 350 degrees until cheese has browned on top.
- *To make this a little healthier, I use Tinkyada Pasta Joy brown rice noodles. They are the best gluten free noodle - not mushy at all!