Yum yum yum. I make this all the time for a quick and healthy side dish!
Kroger didn’t have any broccoli heads when I went yesterday, so I just used a bag of broccoli and cauliflower florets. It works just as well, but it tastes better when you get the whole head of broccoli (or cauliflower!) and are able to use the stalk also.
- 1 large head broccoli
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Adjust an oven rack to the lowest position, place a baking sheet on the rack and preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- With a vegetable peeler or sharp paring knife remove the outer layer of thick peel from the broccoli stalk.
- Cut the stalk off of the broccoli and cut into long ½-inch thick pieces. Cut the rest of the broccoli into long, fairly narrow florets.
- Put the broccoli in a large bowl and drizzle it with the olive oil. Toss well until evenly coated.
- Sprinkle with the salt and sugar, and rub it into the broccoli with your hands to evenly distribute.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and spread the broccoli in an even layer. Place flat sides down wherever possible.
- Return the baking sheet to the oven and roast until the stalks are well browned and tender and the florets are lightly browned, 9 to 11 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately. Enjoy!