This recipe was deemed by my husband as his favorite non-chocolate dessert.
Translation: it’s pretty darn good.
It’s a perfect dessert for a warm summer night!
We’ll start off by making a strawberry glaze.
You’ll add 1 C of sugar, 3 Tbs corn starch, 1 Tbs lime juice and 1 quart of sliced strawberries to a medium-size saucepan.
Heat until boiling and use a potato masher to mash up the strawberries.
Pour your glaze into a jar and let cool.
Side note: this would make an excellent cheesecake or ice cream topping.
Once the glaze has cooled, add it to 1 quart of sliced strawberries.
Then whip together 2 packages of cream cheese and 3/4 C sugar until smooth.
Fold in 8 oz of thawed Cool Whip
Now you’ll start to layer everything together in a trifle bowl.
Cut up your cake for the bottom layer, and top with the cream cheese mixture and then add your fruit.
In the past, I’ve just used strawberries, but since today was Memorial Day, I added blueberries to the mix.
Red, White and Blue. Praise God for our colors of freedom.
Ah, pretty blueberries!
Cake + Cream cheese + fruit. And repeat.
The full recipe is below. Enjoy!
- 1 angel food cake, cut into small pieces
- 3 C blueberries, optional
- 1 C of sugar
- 3 Tbl corn starch
- 1 Tbl lime juice
- 2 quarts strawberries, sliced and divided
- 2 pkg cream cheese, room temp.
- 3/4 C sugar
- 8 oz Cool Whip, thawed
- Add the sugar, corn starch, lime juice and 1 quart of strawberries to a saucepan over medium-high heat. Heat until boiling and use a potato masher to mash up the strawberries.
- Pour in a jar or bowl and let cool.
- Once cool, add the remaining 1 quart of strawberries and mix well.
- Whip together 2 packages of cream cheese and 3/4 C of sugar until smooth.
- Fold in the Cool Whip
- Start with a layer of cake on the bottom, topped with a layer of the whipped cream cheese, followed by a layer of the strawberry glaze and blueberries (if using). Repeat layers and end with the whipped cream cheese on top.
- Store in the fridge at least 1 hour until time to serve.